FairMormon is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of LDS doctrine, belief and practice.
Book of Mormon/List of editions
List of Book of Mormon Editions
- 1830 — First edition, 5000 copies, printed by E.B. Grandin in Palmyra, New York. Punctuation and paragraphing added by Grandin's employee, John H. Gilbert. The preface contains an explanation by Joseph Smith about the lost 116 pages. The testimonies of the three and eight witnesses are at the end of the book.
- 1837 — Printed in Kirtland. Preface written by Parley P. Pratt and John Goodson. Hundreds of grammatical changes made.
- 1840 — Printed by Shepard and Stearns in Cincinnati, Ohio for Ebenezer Robinson and Don Carlos Smith. Joseph Smith edited this printing to restore some of the readings of the original manuscript.
- 1841 — Printed by J. Tompkins in Liverpool, England, for Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, and Parley P. Pratt. Printed with the permission of Joseph Smith. It is essentially a reprint of the 1837 edition with modifications for British spelling.
- 1849 — Printed in England; edited by Orson Pratt.
- 1852 — Printed in England; edited by Franklin D. Richard. Includes first attempt at versification of the text.
- 1879 — Edited by Orson Pratt. Long chapters from original text are divided. True versification added, along with footnotes.
- 1905 — Edited by James E. Talmage.
- 1911 — Edited by James E. Talmage.
- 1920 — Edited by James E. Talmage. Introductory material added, text composed in two columns, chapter summaries added, and new footnotes.
- 1981 — Edited by committee under direction of members of the Quorum of the Twelve. New introductory material added, new chapter summaries, and new footnotes.